Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Playing CARDS

Image of Gale Fulton Ross from FacebookImage of Gale Fulton Ross


A few years ago, I was approached by an artist by the name of Gale Fulton Ross. She said that she wanted to write a book that could serve as a guideline for artists who wanted to make a career of their craft. She called the book Artists Must Play CARDS, the anagram representing the five things that the professional artist needs in order to be successful.

Commitment
Ambition
Resourcefulness
Dedication
Solitude

I will be discussing these elements more in further blogs as I find the Solitude to work on my own art. But suffice it to say that I marveled at the idea and was almost instantly drawn to how her concepts (minus the Solitude) aligned with the four cards of the regular playing deck.

Spades
Clubs
Diamonds
Hearts

Furthermore, I was engrossed in the idea of how these aligned with the four elements of material being.

Air
Fire
Earth
Water

I began to see how these four concepts further aligned with the four aspects of humanity

Mind
Spirit
Body
Heart

I was drawn back to the concept of cards. Though it recommended that I fear and shun it as a young Christian, the deck of the Tarot cards have been a source of much wonder for me. Though there are many different styles out there, I've tended to stick with the classic Rider-Waite deck. I find the artistry in the cards very telling, the way they interpret both the numberology and the meanings of the suits.

Swords
Wands
Coins
Cups

Looking into the many self help gurus and business consultants, I began to see more of this occurance. For instance, Wayne Dyer has his Pathways to Mastery.

Wisdom
Surrender
Discipline
Unconditional Love

Stephen Covey discusses the four modes of creativity

Pathfinding
Modeling
Aligning
Empowering

As well as the four styles of leadership...

Directing
Coaching
Supporting
Delegating

And the four human desires...

To Live
To Love
To Learn
To Leave a Legacy

The actual CARDS book will be out soon, but these four principles, in whatever words describe them, are also the basis for my new book The McAllister Code and I am very grateful to Ms. Fulton Ross for making me aware of them. Go to www.themcallistercode.com now to be a part of the adventure.


The Way of Four




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment