Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Ellen DeGeneres joins 'Idol' as fourth judge--The Live Feed

« White House chides Fox for not airing Obama (video) | Main


September 09, 2009

Ellen DeGeneres joins 'Idol' as fourth judge

105025-degeneres_ellen_341x182

Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres has joined "American Idol" as the show's fourth judge, replacing Paula Abdul.

DeGeneres will join Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi on the show's upcoming ninth season.

“I’m thrilled to be the new judge on 'American Idol,'” DeGeneres said in a statement. ”I’ve watched since the beginning, and I’ve always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I’ll save from not having to text in my vote.”

DeGeneres will join the judges’ panel after the auditions, which will include guest judges Victoria Beckham, Mary J. Blige, Kristin Chenoweth, Joe Jonas, Neil Patrick Harris, Avril Lavigne, Katy Perry and Shania Twain.

“I could not be more excited to have Ellen join the 'American Idol' family,” said creator and executive producer Simon Fuller. “Ellen has been a fan of the show for many years, and her love of music and understanding of the American public will bring a unique human touch to our judging panel. I can’t wait for this next season to begin.”

"She is truly one of America’s funniest people and a fantastic performer who understands what it’s like to stand up in front of audiences and entertain them every day," said Fox president of alternative Mike Darnell. "We feel that her vast entertainment experience – combined with her quick wit and passion for music – will add a fresh new energy to the show.”

The news also means former judge Paula Abdul has officially been replaced following weeks of speculation about whether she would return to the show.

Thoughts: Signing DeGeneres is a good get for Fox ... and an odd choice for "Idol." Being an "Idol" judge means taking quite seriously a show that is, in some respects, overstuffed and absurd. It's tough to predict how DeGeneres' humor will mesh with that. Will she be a breath of fresh air and provide refreshing wit along with some of Abdul-style heart? Or will she inevitable feel like an outsider who's commenting on a silly reality show while its playing out? Plus some fans are bound to cry foul -- what does Ellen know about judging vocal talent? More to come tomorrow...

You might also like:

'Heroes' fourth season joins the carnival

Summer Glau joins 'Dollhouse'

John Lithgow joins 'Dexter' cast

Judge denies Blago's 'Celebrity' request

Sep 9, 2009 05:24 PM | Permalink | Comments (View) | Bookmark and Share


Showing 10 of 10 Comments  

  • This can't be real.
  • this is pretty awesome.
    love Ellen and American Idol.
    what a great combo!
  • Nothing against Ellen but seriously...what musical background does she really have compared to the other judges. American Idol used to be a show for "undiscovered" musical talent and now has turned into a popularity contest. No, thanks. I'll find something else to watch.
  • RonaldMcDouchebag 3 hours ago
    this is horrible news, I think Idol will sink this season if they dont somehow bring back Paula, Ellen has no musical background whatsoever, other than being a fan of Idol.
  • The Australian version "Australian Idol" is dying in the ratings here as it has run it's race. I think that other country's versions will eventually suffer the same fate. I believe "Australian Idol" will be axed after this current season. I'll be honest, I am NOT a big fan of talent shows at all, as they are based more on ratings by degrading less "talented" performers, than for the talent it's self. Many years ago, this particular band would enter talent contests & the highest place they ever won was 3rd, that band was called THE BEATLES;! I rest my case!
  • HeyJude0624 2 hours ago
    Ellen Degeneres as a judge is about the worst news possible for American Idol. I intensely dislike her and can't imagine what someone with absolutely no musical talent or background will add to the judging. If I were a contentant, I would be insulted by her presence. She will turn the show into a farce. She'll probably try to be funny every time she opens her mouth, and Idol will end up being about her as opposed to the contestants. This is HORRIBLE news, and I won't be surprised if it leads to the demise of American Idol. HORRIBLE decision by the powers that be to add her to the mix. HORRIBLE!!!
  • doesn't ellen already have a show?
  • Name 1 hour ago
    I don't know about this. I'm actually uneasy about it.
  • AnnR 1 hour ago
    No thanks. Without Paula the show is sunk. Ellen does not interest me in the least.
  • IdolFan48493 0 minutes ago
    I like Ellen but I agree she knows nothing about music,now I'm REALLY unsure if I wanna watch Idol next yr :( I miss Paula!
  • discussion by DISQUS

    Add New Comment

    You are commenting as a Guest. You may select one to log into:

    Log into DISQUS

     

    Connect

    • Logged in as
    • using Facebook Connect (Logout)
    Trackback URL  

    Ellen DeGeneres joins 'Idol' as fourth judge

    105025-degeneres_ellen_341x182

    Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres has joined "American Idol" as the show's fourth judge, replacing Paula Abdul.

    DeGeneres will join Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi on the show's upcoming ninth season.

    “I’m thrilled to be the new judge on 'American Idol,'” DeGeneres said in a statement. ”I’ve watched since the beginning, and I’ve always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I’ll save from not having to text in my vote.”

    View the entire comment thread.

    TrackBack

    TrackBack URL for this entry:
    http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d83451d69069e20120a55e8467970b

    Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Ellen DeGeneres joins 'Idol' as fourth judge:

    Didn't see that one coming.

    Posted via web from Steve's posterous

    1 comment: